Monday, April 5, 2010

News


Spring fashion week may be over, but I'm determined that my blogging will not end with it. This is such an amazing time in life (since I've moved to a new place and am having so many new experiences) that I really should be writing them all down.

Yesterday was the official launch service for our church (Agape Church). What a crazy day, but what a blessed day, too! I had the mother of one of my toddlers tell me that her daughter has been asking all week when she can come back to church, because she has so much fun. I think that's the biggest compliment I could ever get!

It's interesting working with toddlers, because their attention span is so limited. As a college-level teacher, I've been trained to create lesson plans with transitions, facilitate meaningful discussion, and plan pretty much everything. But with toddlers, you can't do that. It's as if I'm learning to teach in a new way, where I have to be even more sensitive to my "students" in order to find, rather than plan the opportunities to have a discussion (as much as they can discuss) that leads to a real teaching moment.

I think the bigger picture is that, while we may not have lots of intriguing, probing, intellectual talks, there are teaching moments everywhere with these kids: in the way we treat each other, in the way I am helping them to share, in the stories we read, the games we play, and even in our snack time. Learning to be sensitive to these teaching moments, I think, is making me a better teacher because I am learning to pay even more attention to my students, instead of plowing forward in my curriculum willy-nilly.

And who could resist those adorable faces? I love my little munchkins so much, that I don't think I'd trade my Sundays with them for anything.


PICT0982
PICT0986
PICT0991

1 comment:

Meghan Elaine said...

That's awesome that they think church is fun :)