Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Flood

God is crazy. Like, crazy good. I've always heard that "God works in mysterious ways," but I'm not sure that I ever fully understood what that means. Perhaps I still don't, but I think I'm getting an idea.

I've been in Mississippi now for almost three months. For more than two of those months, I was very, very unemployed. I searched for jobs, applied for jobs, but nothing really came of it. Then I got a small gig as the market manager for the Laurel Farmer's Market, which starts in June. Not a lot of cash, but something. Then I got another small gig, helping a local building to put together an application for a Mississippi Main Street award. Again, not a lot of cash, but something.

Then, on Sunday, I got word that I was needed at the local cafe'/coffee shop. Minimum wage, but hey, I'll take it! Then today I officially started a gig as a freelance editor for a local web design company, and found out that I'm needed to manage another farmer's market. From no job, to a veritable FLOOD of employment: market manager, barista, freelance editor, all at once. I'm telling you, this is CRAZY!

So here is my question: why, when I felt the need for work, when I was going crazy and WANTED work more than anything, why was it that at that time I couldn't get a job, despite my plethora of qualifications? Why is it that all at once, I get a crazy amount of work, most of which I didn't even seek out? I'm telling you, God is crazy. He knows everything.

He knew that I needed time to rest; He knew that I needed to acclimate myself to my surroundings; He knew that I needed to have jobs in Laurel where our ministry is and not where the big job market is. He knew that I would be all too eager to take whatever job sounded good, whether or not it was really good for me. He knew. Everything.

This is MY downtown, with my cafe' in the green 4-story building.

So here I am, with yet another set of qualifications to pad my already brimming resume. I'm not bragging. It's just the truth. I'm working the type of job I always secretly envied others but was afraid to try; happily plugging away for minimum wage in a legit cafe with a colorful set of regulars and a staff that feels like family. And what's crazier is that I actually seem to be GOOD at it. After only three days on the job, I find myself negotiating the cafe with ease, handling orders, finding whatever work needs to be done, and being an asset to those around me. Being a blessing in my workplace. I love it.

So perhaps the next time I feel stranded and desperate in my situation I'll remember the story of the flood. No, not Noah's flood. Mine. My flood of employment that appeared out of nowhere when I was stranded in a desert of free time and unemployment. I'll remember that God provides the means to fulfill a purpose when you take the time to recall what your purpose is. Mine is to serve, the way that He came to serve me.

So if you find yourself in Mississippi, come on in and see me. I make a mean raspberry truffle latte, if you don't mind my saying so. And I make it with a smile. =)

1 comment:

Lady Dorothy said...

Hi! Just saw your blog on Facebook. I put it on my Bloglines, so I can try to keep up. (I say "try" because I'm always falling behind. LOL)

I'm glad all is well with you. We miss you!