Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Coming out of the closet

No, I'm not gay. But I do have something to admit. It's really hard to say this, but here it is: I have an Eharmony account.
Yes, that's right, I am an online dater. And even crazier than that is that fact that I am currently talking to a guy I've never actually seen in person that I met on Eharmony.

Go ahead, throw the rotten tomatoes at me. But if you saw the available pool of guys I interact with on a day-to-day basis, you might be tempted to get an account, too.

Last night I talked to my roommate about this. I prefaced my discussion with her by saying, "Well I'm a particularly heinous brand of loser and I can't meet men the normal way, so..."
She immediately corrected my self-categorization. Apparently, I'm NOT a heinous brand of loser. Apparently lots and lots of people are super-busy and have online dating accounts.

Not sure if I've met the love of my life yet, but it's a nice thought.

So it makes me wonder: why was I so embarrassed and secretive about the whole thing in the first place? Is it because I like keeping potential relationships under the radar until something serious reveals itself? Or is it because I feel like there's something "wrong" with me because I haven't met anyone I'm interested in since moving to Sacramento?

When I was talking to my online friend (we've been talking on the phone now for about a month), I told him that I was a bit embarrassed about having an Eharmony account. In response, he said something that struck me as being insanely insightful. What he told me was this: "I figure that there are so many amazing people out there and the probability of them all being around me is impossible. So it's almost selfish not to put myself out there to meet all the wonderful people I can. I mean, we have the Internet as this great resource, so why not use it?"

Ok, so this quotation isn't verbatim, but it's my best recollection of the conversation. So there you have it. I'm out. It feels kind of good to be out of the online dating closet. And in the end, regardless of what happens with my 'friend', I can feel good about my choice because I put myself out there. And that's a big step. For me, at least.

1 comment:

typicallySteven said...

I have a relative who married someone she met on an online dating thing. It turned out really great for them and they got married too. I wish I was meeting people that I was interested in too, but there is always some small thing that disqualifies people. Maybe my standards are too high.