Thursday, October 4, 2007

Teaching

Today I held a review day for all my students because we have a big scary MIDTERM coming up next Tuesday. Today things just seemed to click. I felt so confident about the material I was covering for them, my transparencies were 100% visible, and I was really having FUN explaining all of the beginning concepts of argumentation to them. It was so neat pulling together all of the things I've been helping them learn over the past five weeks and showing them how it all fit together. *sigh* Sometimes, it's so awesome being an educator.

When I began teaching, I knew that it would change me. Not only would I have to be more organized and really master the material, but I knew that there was something about ME that would have to change. I would have to present myself differently. I would have to get over my insecurities and be a bit more confident. All of that is starting to happen, and although it still makes me feel like I'm not being a good teacher when I see people texting in class (you better believe I publicly shame the texters!), I'm getting a lot better at not taking my students' nonverbal cues so personally.

One of the things I was completely unprepared for was just how much teaching would affect my attitudes and behaviors as a student. I can say with 100% confidence that teaching has made me a much better student. When I have to present to my class, I have a little more confidence and flair. When I read materials I am better able to pick out the big ideas and see how everything fits together. And I have so much more respect for the process my instructors go through in creating assignments and putting together class materials. I can empathize with them when others in the class start getting out of control. Most importantly, I can recognize the things that are particularly irritating as an instructor and make darned sure that I'm not doing those things myself.

Yes, I knew that teaching would change things. But I didn't know it would change me as much as it has, in less than two months! I'm thankful for the increased responsibility and organization that teaching has forced me into. I feel so blessed and privileged to be in this position, to be able to master material in such a manner that I can convey it to others. But most of all, I am thankful for the dual perspective that teaching while pursuing my master's degree has given me.

So I'm just giving a shout-out to all the teachers out there, whether you are instructing classes, running training seminars, or teaching your little one how to read or speak. You are amazing. I love you. And I'm thankful to be a part of what you do, if only by association.

3 comments:

Jenny O said...

hello there, I am a retired teacher living in yorkshire england, and I have enjoyed your enthusiasm today, go for it, jenny oliver (www.gettingoffit.blogspot.com)

Andrea Terry said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad this post related to someone other than myself :)

typicallySteven said...

I really want to get the opportunity to teach too someday, I think I would love it and I'm happy that it's so beneficial for you. Reading this also makes me feel a little bad about complaining to Dr. Duffy about his grading policy. He is such a great teacher and really puts a lot into his classes.