Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hurtful People

There are some people in this world that I will never understand. The guy who honks and yells obscenities out his window because you didn't floor it the exact nanosecond the light turned green, the woman who freaks out because you miscounted your groceries and omigosh you have eleven items instead of ten and this is the express lane for crying out loud! Then there's that person you spend tons of time with yet never seem to get close to, the one who hurts you over and over again that you want to keep giving second chances and eventually realize that you can't.

While I have experienced plenty of Mr. Road-rages and Ms. Anal-retentive-grocery-shoppers in my time, the irritation caused by these two cannot even compare with the hurt and anguish that the third kind of person has. I have one such person in my life right now, and I cannot even count the times she has hurt me beyond belief. Yet I keep pressing forward, try to forgive and move on, only to be hurt again.

Have you ever met a person like this? The person your pour your heart out to, who then decides to make a joke of your heart, revealing your deepest insecurities in the most hurtful and obscene fashion. The person you really want to be a good friend to; whose criticism you take to heart, only to find that when you raise concerns of your own, they somehow don't seem to matter in this person's eyes. Have you ever beat yourself to death trying to please someone, just to discover that you have somehow become party to a 'friendship' built on double standards?

I have.

I am.

And I don't know where to go from here.

This woman, who I thought was my friend, doesn't seem to have any regard for my feelings. She has proven this time and time again by engaging in hurtful behaviors toward me. When I have tried to convey my feelings regarding her actions, she brushes them off and tells me that they are "just opinions." She repeatedly mocks my appreciation for my friends and family back home, expecting me to play along. She has publicly (and falsely) accused me of betraying her confidence. She has hurt me beyond belief. And yet for some reason, I keep trying to be a better friend to her. I cannot understand my actions in this regard; perhaps they are a result of my fear that I won't be accepted.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be around her, but I know that contact is inevitable. I want to really forgive her. I'm not sure that I can when she won't even admit to the possibility that she could have hurt me. I just wish I could stop pretending everything is all right and have my concerns heard. Sincerely. I wish she would just listen.

Honestly, I don't even know what to do at this point. Things like this make me miss home even more, and especially the people there who love me without judging me and who listen to me and show me they care. Like my little friend, Brittney, who put this note in my camera bag for me to find when I moved back to Sacramento for school:


This is love. Unconditional, heartfelt, caring, wonderful love. The kind of love that enjoys time together without gossip or malice, the kind of love that bakes brownies together and giggles uncontrollably until the late hours of the night, the kind of love that is full of hugs and assurance and acceptance. I miss this love right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you're dealing with that person who keeps hurting you, but this might help you out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Recognize-a-Manipulative-or-Controlling-Relationship

If you read it and think "How did they KNOW?", you might want to use some of the tips :)

Nancy said...

Yes, I am in this situation currently. And what you said about "I'm not sure that I can when she won't even admit to the possibility that she could have hurt me" completely resonated with me. I find it difficult too. And I think it's difficult because why should I do someone the favor of forgiving them when they won't even recognize that they've hurt me. Now that I say it, I'm realizing, forgiveness is something I should do for myself, not for another person. It hurts me to not forgive. And forgiveness (what a misconstrued word). I want to think of it in another sense.

I found this posted , that I really appreciate, and I really hope it helps you.

"Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said said that “Hatred paralyses life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.”
I have hated…. and then I realized it hurt me more than it hurt others. I tried to move on without really feeling anything, and that did not work either because it left me feeling incomplete and cowardly. Then I tried to put them in a list of people in my mind that I would get back at… petty revenge here and there… but that left me dark and on a worse road.
I eventually figured out that forgiveness is a better way to go. Not because I care about these people, or am afraid of them… but because I gave them too much power over me otherwise.
I am a good person and they have no power that I do not give them. They cannot hold me back without my granting them that ability. They cannot hurt me anymore without me allowing it. I am beyond them… and I realize that they were petty, small and weak people who hurt others because they were hurt themselves. By forgiving and moving on I make a statement that I am not them.
I never got to the point of loving them. I am not like Jesus, or Ghandi or Dr. King… for me forgiveness and an attempt to understand without forgetting was enough."

You sound like a good person; it comes through in your writing. I am grateful for the unconditional love of good friends too.

Stay well.