Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A new chapter

Last night I had my last class as a student. Ever. I had worked so hard to finish everything up that I didn't realize what was happening until it was almost over. Yesterday I received a call from the human resources department at Cuesta College and was told that they have approved equivalency for me so that I can finish my thesis over the summer and start teaching courses in the fall. And in just over a week, I will go through the commencement ceremony for my master's degree.

It's just started to hit me that a chapter of my life is closing. And although there have been parts of this time that I've desperately wanted to end, I'm starting to feel a bit melancholy about leaving this place, these people, for good. Don't get me wrong, I still am not a fan of living in Sacramento, and there are definitely people here that I will be glad to escape. Despite that, though, I can see good things as I look back.

By moving here I really became and independent person, free from the strictures and emotional trappings of my family. I know that because I left for a time, I'm now much healthier emotionally and will be able to deal with them in a much more productive way.


(I went to fun conferences)

By moving here I also got the chance to meet some wonderful people: my church family, the office staff at school, my committee, and even some fellow students. I will miss them. I will also definitely miss my times hanging out with my old roommates, Amy and Laura. Amy and I have had lots of good times exploring along the river and playing with the ponies. I'm going to miss that.


(I went to the Rivercats Game and all kinds of fun places with Janna)

By moving here I was able to become part of an amazing volunteer opportunity, Saddle Pals. This organization provides therapeutic horseback riding for people with special needs. In volunteering there I've gotten the opportunity to rediscover my love of horses and see how they can be used to help others. What an amazing organization!

So all in all, there are some things about Sacramento that I'm going to miss. I wish I would have done things differently: volunteered sooner, explored the river more, taken more time to be outside and appreciate the beauty of the foothills. But I guess that's one of the things that happens when you get busy and wrapped up in yourself: you forget to recognize the beauty around you.


(I got to work in a building that looks like a spaceship)

Everything right now is reminding me of a song by Trace Adkins:
"You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back,
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times, so take a good look around,
You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this."


(I got to experience the beauty of Sacramento in the fall)

So, Sacramento, I'm going to miss you despite myself. But here is my pledge:
I am going to enter this new chapter of my life determined to appreciate what I have no matter what the circumstances or how busy I get, because I know that one day I will be able to look back and see just how wonderful it was.

Yes, I'm going to miss this, but I'm excited about the future, too!

2 comments:

Patrick Kilby said...

I'm so proud of you, good luck next year!

Cuesta College Library said...

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to Cuesta! I assume you've been hired as a speech teacher? Or maybe English?

I hope you love it here. If you're up at the North County campus in Paso Robles, stop by and introduce yourself to me!

Tina Lau
North County Librarian
Cuesta College

PS I have a Technorati feed that finds blog postings on "Cuesta" and "college or assignments or paper" so I can help Cuesta students who need to get librarian help but don't know to ask. That's how I found you--you're kind of like a dolphin caught in a tuna net. ;-)