Friday, February 15, 2008

Teach for America

Quite some time ago, I made a list of things I intended to do in order to take control of my life and make a difference in the world. Idealistic though it seems, I've finally followed through with one of the items on that list. I've just submitted my application to Teach for America, a national service program that sends out college graduates to teach in urban and rural underprivileged schools.
One part of the application process was choosing which areas I'd want to teach in. Since I've never been to the South, my top two picks were Eastern North Carolina and Atlanta, Georgia. My backup choice is the Bay Area.
I've always believed in the power of education, and it makes me feel all warm and tingly inside to think that I may very well have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of some underprivileged kids through this program. I've always been teaching in some shape or form: leadership positions in 4-H, being a camp counselor, helping out fellow students, coaching debate, and actually teaching my own classes during grad school. So this program seems like it would be really good for me. I'd have the opportunity to help others, experience life in a new area, and grow as a teacher and a person.
Plus...if I complete my two years, I get a monetary bonus to put toward my student loans. Hooray!

1 comment:

DarkWing said...

good luck, it sounds like a cool experience.