Monday, February 18, 2008

Oklahoma, OK!

One of the things you must do as a grad student is write papers.  Now these aren't five-page, three-source papers.  These are intense, 20+ page, 50+ source papers.  For each course you take, you have to write at least one of these papers.
Last semester, I wrote three.  Well, two actually.  One of them was an in-depth training on managing power in the classroom for new grad assistants.  Anyways...
One of the papers I wrote was a narrative analysis of a God's Politics blog.  If you've never read the stuff put out by Jim Wallis and his colleagues, you definitely should.  It's good stuff. Really good stuff.  But I digress.
When Rudy Giuliani was still a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, Pat Robertson got the brilliant idea that he should endorse Giuliani for president.  This despite the fact that nearly all of Giuliani's positions on social issues are the complete opposite of Robertson's.  When this epic event occurred, Wallis was a bit inflamed.  So, he decided to blog about it, in fine Jim Wallis fashion (that basically means that he completely and totally reamed Robertson in every way possible). 
Since I am a grad student and I had a paper to write for my religion and communication class, I decided that it would be fun to investigate the way Wallis talks about Robertson's endorsement of Giuliani, especially since Wallis and Robertson's ideas for how faith should be integrated into politics are COMPLETELY different (Wallis, by the way, seems to be an Obama fan). 
So I wrote the paper.  And I submitted it to a student conference.  And it got in. 

 
On March 6th, I will be boarding a plane and flying into Oklahoma to present my paper and (bonus!) visit with my beautiful and talented friend Emery, who is letting me sleep in her newly-redesigned guest room.  
I am so excited :)  I love Oklahoma for so many reasons: the friendly people, the sweet tea, the beautiful OU campus (which is reminiscent of Harvard with its red brick architecture ), the bbq, and, of course, the building full of fellow communication studies nerds who will be anxiously waiting to discuss my work.  Or rip it to pieces.  

No comments: