Thursday, February 19, 2009

Feeling the burn

The other day, I went to Equilibrium Fitness to see what their pricing was like.  The woman at the front desk asked me a couple of questions, and here's what followed:

EQ Employee: So what kind of exercise are you doing now?
Me: I hike a few times a week and go on walks. 
EQ Employee: Are you doing any kind of resistance training?
Me: Well, I usually hike up hills, if that counts.
EQ Employee: Well, you know, if you don't do any resistance training, you're not going to get any results.
Me: Well, I'm just not sure that I can afford one of your memberships, but thanks for the info.
EQ Employee: Well, it's all about where your priorities are.  
Me: I just don't think I'd be able to afford my rent if I got a membership.
EQ Employee: You just need to re-evaluate your priorities.  I'm sure you could fit it in.  And a lot of people here have trouble being motivated to work out alone.  We could help you with that.  

Seriously?  Seriously.  Was this woman even LISTENING to me?  It's really frustrating to be exercising consistently, eating well, and changing your lifestyle, only to have some high and mighty gym employee tell you that what you're doing isn't good enough. What a crock.

As a result of my conversation, I decided to do a little research on working out outside instead of working out in a gym.  Here are the pros and cons I discovered (besides the pros from working out in general):

Gym Pros - social interaction, all-weather availability, classes available, option of personal trainer.
Hiking Pros - decreased depression (b/c of the sun's vitamin D), more muscle groups worked (b/c hiking on uneven ground means you're constantly re-balancing, getting to muscles that machines don't work), more calories burned (hiking vs. treadmill), encountering the beauty of the outdoors, promotes deep sleep, promotes mental health & stimulation, FREE!
Gym Cons - icky smells, rude people, overcrowding, lack of equipment availability, costs $$.
Hiking Cons - lack of control over weather, potential to encounter wild animals, going alone could be dangerous.

When I look at the pros and cons in these lists, one of the things that stands out to me is that hiking is more than just exercise, it is an ADVENTURE.  People were not intended to be stuffed inside a smelly, crowded building in order to get the proper exercise.  We were made to enjoy the great outdoors and all it has to offer!

An added bonus for me is the connection I feel with God when I go on a hike.  Something about being outdoors and seeing the beauty that God has created makes my heart leap in worship.  I go outside, turn on my iPod to my worship playlist and get my exercise and worship all at once!

Additionally, there are other exercises that can be done outside besides hiking.  On a flat area of the hike, try adding some lunges.  Or once you get to a grassy plain, stop for a series of push-ups.  You can also increase your exercise quotient by alternating jogging and speed-walking (which I did this morning).  

Another interesting scenario: This week on "The Biggest Loser," only two of the duos were allowed access to the gym.  Everyone else had to work out in the outdoors.  Interestingly enough, the eliminated person was from one of the teams that had access to the gym. The contestants who worked out outside mentioned a few times that they were working "muscles I didn't know I had."  There was also mention of how nice it was to be outside, breathing the fresh air.  

Bottom line: You don't need a gym to work out.  We have everything we need if we only use our bodies, our brains, and the amazing creation God has given us!

That being said, here are some pictures from my hike up Madonna Mountain (aka Cerro San Luis) yesterday:   

Yes, I conquered THIS mountain!

Parts of the hike were daunting..

...but I made it to the top!

What a view!

2 comments:

Intelligence said...

Hiking definitely seems more interesting than the boring confinements of a gym. =)

Unknown said...

Yeah! I really like this post - because I totally agree. I once saw some people running on tread mills at a gym on the shore of Lake Tahoe. I was on a jogging path on a beautiful August evening, and they were watching T.V. from the treadmill with the some of the most beautiful trails and paths in the world right in front of them. I don't think I will ever understand it.