Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Debate + Oklahoma = craziness

Two words: CEDA Nationals.
That's where I have been for the past six days. All the stress, strain and seriousness of an entire year's worth of debate work come together in one fantastically long weekend of grueling competition. There can only be one winner, and it definitely wasn't us.

Nationals this year was in Norman, Oklahoma, home of the University of Oklahoma (O.U. to those who know better). Oklahomans seem to be a bit fanatic about O.U. They label everything with the O.U. logo, from t-shirts to sun catchers, debate timers and water bottles. That's right. This weekend, I got my fill of H2OK Sooner water.

Additionally, I had the enjoyable opportunity of staying at the Sooner Legends Inn, complete with an O.U.-worthy crimson and cream color scheme and a biography of a famous Sooner football player in every room. It was so overwhelming and amazing that I seem to have completely forgotten the name of the football player in my room....I'm sure I'll remember it someday.

Favorite memories from my visit to Oklahoma:
- the visit to Van's Pig Stand for lip-smackin' good barbeque,
- relaxing in the student union in an oversized leather chair with free wifi and coffee,
- singing "Friends in Low Places" during karaoke at the Sooner Legends with a debate friend from San Francisco,
-judging USC versus US Military Academy (I voted for USC...the Military Academy was advocating plan-plan debate, which didn't really work), and
-getting to spend an entire day in Oklahoma City visiting my four favorite Oklahomans: Emery, Chris, Ezra, and Joel.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of pictures. However, I've heard tell that some of my debate friends did. I can't wait to see photographic evidence of the Oklahoman madness. Our team didn't win (we didn't expect them to), but it was a great learning experience for everyone involved. To help you better understand debate, here is a link to a website that explains all the basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policy_debate

All in all, the trip to Oklahoma was a blast. Sure, there was disappointment, sleep deprivation and frustration, but in the end I got to hang out with some fabulous people. Until next time, go exercise your brain!

Andrea

No comments: